Bilingual Canada is an ideal place to learn both English and French. The excellent environment, friendly people and the opportunity to improve your chosen foreign language at affordable prices make this country so popular with students from all over the world. If you are also planning to go to Canada for English or French courses – this section is for you. Here you can find information about the programs and prices of language schools in Canada.
Canadian language courses offer two languages – English (ESL) and French (FSL). And this is not surprising, since officially both of these languages are state languages in the country. That is, in addition to directly in the classroom, students will be able to apply their knowledge and outside school hours – when walking around town, shopping, etc. However, it is worth bearing in mind that the prevalence of languages is not the same. If you plan to learn English – you can go almost anywhere in the country. But those who have decided to come to Canada to learn French, it is better to prefer Quebec, as well as the provinces of Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba – there is a large concentration of French speakers.
English courses in Canada are numerous and varied. You can take both standard courses (general, professional, business) and specialized courses of different areas.
Language courses in Canada may be offered at universities or in private language schools. The level of education in both cases is very high; the main thing in choosing the place of education is the purpose for which you want to learn English:
- for communication (general programs);
- For work (professional and business programs);
- for further studies (academic programs), etc.
Advantages of courses
- The country has two official languages: English and French, so you can get an education with their comprehensive study.
- Thanks to the large selection of language centers you can find a school not only in a major city, but also in a small town.
- Studying English at a Canadian institution costs 20% less than at a British or American institution.
- The country is multicultural. Most citizens are first or second generation immigrants, so visitors from other parts of the world are treated very warmly here.
- You can apply for a visa online or send documents by courier, which is very convenient.
Enrollment process and required documents
The standard set of documents you need to present in order to take the course: a copy of the passport and a filled out application form. Usually, in order to better understand the language level of the student and to place them in the appropriate group, before the language course begins an orientation test is carried out on the first day of classes.
On the basis of the results the student is put into the appropriate level group. Groups are very small (8-12 people), so the teacher can give time to each student and work with him on the material.
As for accommodation, the schools have their own base of host families in an accessible location. For a more effective immersion in the culture and life of Canada, it is recommended to live in a host family. It is also a great opportunity to effectively improve spoken language skills. Families are carefully chosen and have a solid experience with international students of all language levels.
For older students and those who wish to live independently, some schools offer a residence (hostel). The option is also available to help you find accommodation close to the language school. This is relevant for those who want to rent an apartment.
The cost of language courses varies depending on the location of the school. In different provinces and cities the fees will be different. It is logical that in popular metropolitan areas the tuition fee will be higher.
An example of the cost of a week of language study in different cities (prices are given without taking into account accommodation and meals):
Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal: General English/French – about 350-420 CAD/week.
Visa requirements and documents
To enroll in a language school in Canada and to learn English, the main point for foreigners is to obtain a visa. It comes in several types depending on the purpose and time of stay in the country. Those who come for short-term courses, a tourist visa is enough, which is valid for up to six months. The application is processed about 10-15 working days.
Students who enroll for one academic year or a full English course in Canada that lasts a year or more need a study visa.
To obtain a visa, you need:
- A passport;
- have a certificate that the student does not have any serious illnesses;
- not be convicted or expelled from any country for violations;
- have close ties in homecountry, intend to return home immediately after graduation;
- show a bank statement proving that the student (or their representatives) have enough money to stay in Canada.
You will need the following documents to apply for a visa:
- Cheque for consular fee payment;
- two photos (3.5 x 4.5 cm) with the student’s full name and date of birth on the back;
- solvency statement from the bank;
- a receipt of full or partial payment of tuition fees;
- Invitation from a language school in Canada;
- a letter from the employer granting leave of absence for the period of study